Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Fake 'FeedBurner Revisited' Post

I wrote this post yesterday, Saturday, March 8th. While I was writing it Blogspot's servers had some sort of problem. You can probably read all about that elsewhere in the blogosphere. Anyway, I tried to post this 5 or 6 times yesterday, and luckily, it didn't work all of those times. If you're reading this, it worked this time. I will finish this post, but I have no idea when. I now use Windows Live Writer, so I can write blog posts while offline and upload them when I get a connection, but for this particular post I need a connection just to write it. I'm in Oak Grove, KY right now, delivering in Clemson, SC in the morning, then picking up in Jackson, GA going to somewhere in Wyoming. No idea if I'll have time. Stay tuned ... or don't, whichever works best for you.

I wouldn't post any of this until it's done, but the previous post promised this one. This one actually spawned that one. And while I think it's funny to have a post entitled 'One Post Leads to Another' and have only the other and not the one, it does look kinda weird.

Speaking of spell check, this spell checker says that 'kinda' is not a word. I know that, but I kinda like it anyway. :-)

- Trevor.

Oak Grove, KY

2008-03-09.

 

This post is unfinished due to circumstances beyond my control. Please do not read it. Pretty please?

 

Since I added FeedBurner email subscriptions to my blog, I've had hundreds of requests from readers asking how they can add subscriptions to their own blogs. The first thing I'll say to them is that exaggeration is very important on blogs when you're trying to build up a reader base. For example, if your sister asks you how to add FeedBurner email subscriptions to her blog, you should say something like, "I've had hundreds of requests from readers ..."

The next thing I'll say to them is how to do it, to answer those dozens of requests I've had.

To accomplish this I'm going to add FeedBurner email subscriptions to another blog of mine, OnlyIdiots.tv, and write about it as I do.

This means that you may have to set up a FeedBurner account on your own (Google has acquired FeedBurner, so maybe you can sign in with your Google account by the time you're reading this). But once you've done that, the steps should be the same for you as they are for me... so come along ...

  1. Go to http://www.feedburner.com, and sign in if necessary.
  2. Enter your blog address in the box they provide. For the blog I'm adding this is http://www.onlyidiotstv.blogspot.com/. I guarantee yours is different.
  3. FeedBurner automatically identifies feeds found on the web page, and since mine (apparently) has two, it has asked me to choose. I need to choose between atom and RSS. I know what RSS is, and have no idea what atom is. I bet I could find out since I am hooked to this Internet thing, but for now I'm just going to select it and see what happens as I'm beginning to be in a bit of a hurry. :-) If you have a similar choice you may wish to make a more informed decision. My guess is that either one will work perfectly.
  4. Now you give your feed a title (which you probably already know) and an address at FeedBurner (the one FeedBurner has chosen for you will likely work just fine). Then click "Activate Feed".
  5. The next screen should say, "Congrats! Your FeedBurner feed is now live. Want to dress it up a little?" If it doesn't, go find a blog from somebody who knows what they're doing and read that. If it does, read the rest of the screen and proceed to step 6.
  6. Click 'Next'.
  7. On this screen you may choose to spend money. I like FeedBurner, and I think you probably should. But I'm not going to (yet), so I'll just click 'Next' again.
  8. Google, which runs Blogspot, appears to be having server trouble. Hooking up with FeedBurner is not working at the moment, but I promised that this post would follow very soon, and who knows if I'll get back to this in the next day, week, or month... so I posted it like this, and I will edit it when I can. If you feel like you just got interrupted in the middle of doing something and it annoys the hell out of you, then you did everything right, and we both got to exactly the same place!

So, I hope that (eventually) answers the person (alright, it really was just the one, ok?!?)

- Trevor.

Springfield, MO

2008-03-08

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.